Organization of Biological Field Stations Website and Social Media streams
The OBFS website serves the membership in several ways: it is a live membership database; a global map of member stations; and a place to post jobs, summer field course postings, and news items. It is also a repository for member documents and publications.
The original OBFS website was hosted on a custom Drupal build on a LTER server. It mostly worked. In late 2009, the Drupal database was targeted by a SQL injection attack. The first task was to recover the content of the site, and to re-build it on a new secure server. As the OBFS Network Manager, I recommended that they move to a membership management service, which could take care of managing plugins, security, and payment transactions for the society.
I served as Project Manager to spec, negotiate, and manage the website migration to a new host, Memberclicks, in 2010.
OBFS is now hosted on a Joomla CMS and uses the Memberclicks payment integration system.
- OBFS now has a clear audit trail for membership payments, and international members are able to pay via credit card or check.
- 24/7 support from Memberclicks staff for database issues.
- OBFS now has the ability to accept credit card donations via a portable card reader.
- The membership map is created through BatchGeo, which has Ajax search capability.
- Created social media channels for OBFS (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) and integrated with OBFS website.
- Created a Wiki GoogleSite to document how the new system is used.